Friday, September 28, 2012

Week 9: Macadamia and coconut crusted fish

I've had this recipe for a while cut out of the Chicago Tribune food section.  Even though I don't like coconut I thought this sounded good.  I have to admit it was just OK.  It was fairly bland without the pineapple relish.  Brian didn't like it because of the hint of coconut flavor.  I wonder if it would be better with chicken because chicken has more flavor?  Or maybe you need a more flavorful fish?  N2 ate it because they were forced to eat it.  I probably won't try this again with fish.  I do have a bag of coconut and half a bag of macadamia nuts left.  Not sure what to do with them!

Macadamia and Coconut Crusted Fish

tilapia fillets (I used 3 from Costco)
1/2 cup dry roasted macadamia nuts, finely chopped (I put them in the food processor)
1/2 cup panko bread crbums
1/4 cup flaked or shredded unsweetened coconut (I couldn't find this so I used regular sweetened coconut)
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (can use cilantro or chives if you prefer)
1/4 tsp ginger
2 egg whites (I used 1 whole egg and 1 egg white)
2 tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oven t 450.  Make sure fish is thawed and pat dry.  Mix chopped nuts, panko, coconut, herbs, ginger, salt and pepper.  Put egg whites in another shallow dish and beat lightly with a fork.  Dip fish into egg whites and then into breadcrumb mixture.  Meanwhile heat oil in an oven safe skillet.  Add fish to pan.  Cook on each side until golden brown about 2 minutes per side.  Put in oven and cook until fish is done.  Mine took about 10 minutes maybe since it was still frozen.  Serve with pineapple relish.

Pineapple Relish

1 cup finely diced fresh pineapple chunks
1/4 seedless cucumber, finely diced (I used a regular cucumber and scooped out the seeds)
2 tbsp finely diced red onion
2-3 tbsp chopped parsley (you can use chives or cilantro)
1/2 tsp fresh lime juice (I used the juice of one lime)
drizzle of sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all in a small bowl.  Let stand about 20 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment