Saturday, September 8, 2012

Week 7: Zucchini and Rice Skillet

I wanted to try this zucchini dish as well even though I already made 2 different dishes for the zucchini challenge.  This was really good and very much like the Santa Fe chicken dish I make.  I think I like this one better though!  The addition of the fire roasted tomato is so yummy!  My kids ate this but only because we fed it to them.  They did eat it as leftovers the following day wrapped in a tortilla.  They gobbled that up!

Zucchini and Rice Skillet

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium zucchini, cut in quarters lengthwise and sliced
1/2 medium green pepper, diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic (I accidentally used this can for another dish, so I used a can of fire roasted tomatoes and threw in 3 cloves of garlic)
3/4 cup water
1 cup minute rice
leftover rotisserie chicken (or cooked chicken)-as much as you want (I used about a breast)
shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oil in a big chef's pan.  Cook zucchini and bell pepper (and garlic if you add garlic instead of using the fire roasted tomatoes with garlic).  Cook until slightly soft-about 5 minutes.  Add in the beans, fire roasted tomatoes and water.  I threw in the chicken at this time too to give it time to heat since the chicken was cold.  Heat until boiling.  Then add the rice, cover and remove from heat.  Let sit for about 8 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Serve with cheese.

I added more water (about 1 1/4 cup instead of 3/4 cup) thinking I would need more water with adding chicken.  That was probably too much water.  I had to heat it on the stove to let some water evaporate.

No comments:

Post a Comment