Thursday, July 12, 2012

Week 2 - Marcie's Red Lentil Curry

This is probably a very boring lentil dish (for David, especially), but I don't often make curries, and both Ben and I thought this would be worth making again.  I really liked it on the naan, but thought it was a little grainy when eaten plain.  I think of lentils as grainy anyway, though, so I was happy to find a recipe where I didn't mind the graininess.

Oh, and I only slightly modified the original recipe on allrecipes.

Red Lentil Curry
(serves 5)


1 1/2 cups red lentils
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons curry paste
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
1 (14.25 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes

Rinse the lentils until the water runs clear.  Cover the lentils with water, and cook until done.  I boiled mine for about 2 minutes, then simmered for maybe 5 minutes more.  I probably could have cooked them for less time.

Meanwhile,  saute the onion in the oil until softened.  Combine the next 9 ingredients (the spices) to make a paste, and add to the sauteed onion.  Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.  Add the diced tomatoes and simmer until the lentils are done.  Drain the lentils.  Combine the lentils and the curry sauce.  Serve with naan and basmati rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment