Saturday, September 3, 2011

Week 7: Becky's Crusted Garlic Chicken

Just a note, we did beets but Brian made them and I would like him to post about them.  Maybe I can get him to show off his beet creations this weekend.

Marcie and I seemed to go in somewhat the same direction.  I decided to bread chicken.  I used a recipe from my Betty Crocker Chicken Cookbook and modified it a bit.  I picked crackers for this week's challenge because I opened a box of Saltines and one whole sleeve was all cracked and crumbled.  I figured I needed to find a use for cracker crumbs.

Crusted Garlic Chicken

1/2 sleeve Saltine cracker crumbs ( I used a whole sleeve and had a lot left over)
1 tbsp margarine or butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
3 gloves garlic, minced
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into tender size pieces (or buy chicken tenders!)
2 tbsp oil

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put oil in a 9x13 inch pan.  (The recipe called for using cooking spray which is what I did but toward the end the crackers seemed so dry and were burning to the pan so I added oil at the end.  I also lowered the temperature form 425).

Mix margarine, milk and garlic powder in  dish.  Mix cracker crumbs, parsley, chives, minced garlic and paprika in another dish.  Dip the chicken in the liquid mixture and then in the cracker mixture.  Put in pan.  Bake uncovered for 35 minutes (maybe less).  Make sure to turn the pieces at least once during the cooking process.

***Note: there was not enough garlic in this dish at all.  The cracker mixture was a little bland so I would recommend upping the herbs quite a bit.  Also you may need to add more oil to the pan part way through.  The recipe recommended spraying the chicken with cooking spray after dipping it.  I kind of missed that while making the recipe. That may have helped to not dry out the crackers so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment