Monday, July 25, 2011

Week 3: Becky-Potato, Green Bean and Corn Salad

Well, Sometimes Becky managed to get week 3 in quite spontaneously!  We had no corn (the corn we were given had worms in all the ears so we had to throw them out) and I had no plans to go to the grocery store but then I had no bread and we ran out of diapers.  So at the very last minute (as Brian was starting the grill) I ran to the store and got some sweet corn (because I won't buy any frozen corn besides Trader Joe's).

This recipe turned out quite delicious!  Brian wasn't so much of a fan because he says that he likes green beans, corn and potatoes on their own so mixed together with too much lemon ruined the 3 foods he likes.  He also said he couldn't enjoy the corn with all the other ingredients.  To that I say pshaw!

I found this recipe (and several other good sounding corn recipes like scrambled eggs with corn) at The Kitchen.

Potato, Green Bean and Corn Salad
1 lb red potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
1 lb green beans, cut into bite size pieces (I used frozen but fresh probably would have been better)
3 ears of corn on the cob (I used 2 so maybe that was why Brian didn't taste enough corn)
chives
parsley
1/4 cup butter
1 tbsp lemon (perhaps you could leave this out all together-I probably put in 2 tbsps)
3 oz. feta or goat cheese
salt and pepper

Boil the potatoes in water until the potatoes are fork tender.  Cook green beans until they are al dente.  Cook the corn however you would like (I microwaved it on high for 4-5 minutes in the husks). After the corn cools a little, cut the kernels off the cob.  Combine potatoes, corn and green beans in a serving bowl.  Chop the parsley and chives and add to the bowl.

Melt the butter in a small skillet or pot over medium heat.  Let it melt, swirling every once in a while.  Let it cook until the butter darkens and begins to smell nutty, swirling occasionally.  As soon as it darkens, take if off the heat!!! (I burned my first brown butter and had to start again).  Whisk in lemon and salt and pepper if desired.  Pour over potatoes, green beans and corn.  Add cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment