Friday, July 29, 2011

Week 3: Chevy's Sweet Corn Tamalitos

There is a Tex-Mex restaurant in Champaign that Julie and I used to enjoy called Chevy's.  Many of their meals came with a small helping of sweet corn tamalitos, and both Julie and I immediately thought of it when Marcie said the week three of MDSBWFC would be corn.  I used a recipe from food.com which uses a 12 oz bag of corn.  My recipe below is scaled up to a 1 lb bag, because that's how God intended frozen vegetables to be sold.  If I made this again, I might finish it off uncovered for 8-10 minutes in the oven. to give it a little crust and get rid of any excess water.

Chevy's Sweet Corn Tamalitos

6.5 Tbsp softened butter
1/3 cup masa harina or flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 lb + 1/2 lb corn kernels
2/3 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup water
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
3 Tbsp milk
salt as desired


Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Then blend 1/2 lb corn kernels with water.  Add to butter/sugar mixer and beat until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined.

Pour dough into a 9x9 and tightly cover with aluminum foil.  Suspend over boiling water (I wedged it into my wide stockpot) for about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment