Thursday, August 11, 2011

Week 5: Marcie's Peach Pizza

Now, you may think that peach pizza sounds very strange, but I wanted to try something out of the ordinary this week.  And it wasn't bad!  I found the idea on Two Peas and Their Pod; doesn't their pizza look delicious?   I added some diced rotisserie chicken so that it would feel more substantial and some prosciutto because I had some leftover.  I learned a few things making this pizza.  Most importantly, when you are making a small balsamic reduction on a stupid electric stovetop, DO NOT leave the heat on while you go outside to pick a few basil leaves.  Although you may not think it, the balsamic can completely burn on your pot and cause your whole house to be filled with smoke so that you have to run the pot outside so as not to catch it on fire.  Not that I know from personal experience.  (Christmas idea for Marcie: small nonstick dishwashable pot)  Anyway, moving on, I also realized that I need to get better at rolling out pizza dough because this dough ended up with lots of holes in it.  And, why don't I ever remember that I can use bacon, if I'm going to fry up my prosciutto to make it crispy?  It's what, 1/3 the price?

Ben and I both liked this pizza, but it wasn't fantastic.  You could taste the peaches, but the balsamic and the prosciutto kind of overwhelmed it.  I think next time I would leave out the prosciutto and use less balsamic.  Amelia liked it because she got to make her own pizza (topped with string cheese and a few peach slices) and she actually ate it!  Yay!

Peach Pizza
serves 2
 Sorry about the terrible picture, something went wrong with my camera and a bunch of my files got corrupted.

For the pizza dough:
1 1/8 teaspoons rapid rise yeast (about half a package)
1/2 cup warm water (105 - 115F)
Pinch of sugar
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Corn meal-for spreading on pizza stone

For the balsamic reduction:
1 cup balsamic vinegar

Pizza toppings:
6 ounces fresh mozzarella - sliced
1 peach - thinly sliced
1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
1/2 cup cooked chicken breast - finely diced or shredded
2 ounces prosciutto, cooked until crispy

Add a pinch of sugar to the warm water, and stir in the yeast.  Let sit for 5 minutes until foamy.  Meanwhile, combine flours and salt in a mixing bowl.  Add the oil and yeast mixture.  Stir until combined, then switch to dough hook.  Beat for five minutes.  Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm area for an hour until doubled in size.

Meanwhile, make the balsamic reduction.  Cook the balsamic (on low heat!  watching constantly!) until it is about a quarter of the original volume.

When dough is ready, sprinkle corn meal on the pizza stone, and press pizza dough into an approximately circular shape.  Top with mozzarella slices, then chicken, then peaches, then basil and prosciutto.  Finally, drizzle with balsamic reduction.

Bake in 500F oven for 12 - 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment